Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Idea Avalanche

Idea Avalanche


Sometimes I am asked to do a project for someone that will "match" something they already have. Here is a quick little project I did for my cousin.  I can't post the picture of the piece she has without being able to give the creator credit.

The process


First thing I did was a quick sketch of the design I thought would "match" what she had and once she approved that I gathered my supplies.


I used the lined paper to save time measuring, it is much cheaper than graph paper.  These are drawn actual size and were used as the pattern to transfer to the sheet copper with carbon paper. 

Using metal shears the outline of the letters were cutout.  To cut out the centers, I punch a hole through so I could fit the tip of the blade through and carefully snipped out the inside.  Since this process stretched the copper and it was no longer flat, I used a "Ball" headed hammer and tapped the copper and made it lay flat with a slight bumpy texture.

The curly design behind the letters is made with salvaged copper wire, bent by hand.



The intention was to solder the pieces together but, my soldering gun was not working properly and I didn't have gas to use a torch.  So, used epoxy glue to attach the pieced to the back.  I wanted to get a good bond so I did this in a way that they would not have to be moved until they had cured.  When that step was complete I sprayed them with Rust-oleum Semi-gloss.



The Avalanche

Although the initial idea was not mine, the process of creating what my cousin wanted was a good stimulant. While I was doing the project I thought of all kinds of things that I could make using this same method and what other materials I could use.  

Look for the results of this avalanche in future posts and my soon to appear online store.

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to seeing how this takes off for you! Thanks, cuz, for turning my my vision into reality! 💖

    ReplyDelete